Golf has an additional element not found in other sports. They come in all shapes and sizes, all creeds and colors, but one thing is consistent worldwide, they are all great characters. Let’s raise a glass of Guinness to the world’s caddies!
The number of facilities that employ caddies has shrunk dramatically over the last couple of decades. The door through which many of modest means entered the game has virtually shut. Gene Sarazen, Sam Snead, Ben Hogan and Byron Nelson – four of the best ever – were all poor kids who started as caddies.
There are still some old-fashioned courses and bastions of the game where the tradition live on; for example, Pine Valley, St Andrews, Doonbeg and Fancourt. Places where, although you frequent them but once a year, you will be greeted by your ‘man’ like a long lost brother.
The caddie is at once your friend, confidant and trusted adviser. He is your coach, swing doctor, gambling guru and solver of world problems. Never at a loss for a smart remark, usually tinged with more than a hint of sarcasm, he is undeniably a man of the world.
Top 10 Best Ever Caddie Quips
10. Golfer: “That can’t be my ball, it’s too old.”Caddie: “It’s been a long time since we teed off, sir.”
9. Golfer: Caddie, how would you have played that last shot? Caddie: “Under an assumed name.”
8. Golfer: “This is the worst golf course I ever played.”Caddie: “This isn’t the golf course, we left that over an hour ago, sir!”
7. Golfer: “I’ve never played this badly before. “Caddie: “I didn’t realize that you had played before, sir”
6. Golfer: “Please stop checking your watch, it is annoying.”Caddie: “This isn’t a watch, sir. It’s a compass.”
5. Golfer: “I’ve played so poorly, I think I’m going to go drown myself in that lake. “Caddie: “I don’t think you could keep your head down that long.”
4. Golfer: “I’d move heaven and earth to be able to break 100. “Caddie: “Try heaven, you’ve already moved most of the earth.”
3. Golfer: Do you think it is a sin to play golf on Sunday?”
Caddie: “The way you play, Sir, it’s a crime any day of the week!”
2. Golfer: “Do you think I can get there with a five-iron?”
1. Golfer: “You’ve got to be the worst caddy in the world!”
Caddie: “I doubt it. That would be too much of a coincidence.
Andrew Wood is an author and CEO of Legendary Marketing, a Tampa/Orlando-based ad agency. He is the world’s leading expert on golf, resort, destination and real estate marketing although his successes go far beyond these core industries. Author of over 40 books including; Confessions of a Golf Pro, Desperately Seeking Members, The Golf Marketing Bible, The Hotel and Resort Marketing Bible and Legendary Advice. Andrew has spoken to thousands of audiences worldwide and was the top ranked speaker at 97.7% of the events where he spoke on sales, marketing, entrepreneurship or leadership. A pioneer in Internet marketing his creative talent, out of the box ideas and copywriting skills are at the core of his expertise. Regarded as one of the top marketing minds in the world for his ability to craft a winning strategy, generate leads and increase income!