Two significant pieces of breaking news from Sea Island Resorts in Sea Island, Georgia, home of two 5-star resorts since 1928. (The Lodge at Sea Island and The Cloister at Sea Island)
- Hurricane Matthew’s damage was minimal and the resort will reopen on Friday, October 13
- Congratulations to Sea Island residents Matt Kuchar, Zach Johnson and Captain Davis Love III for winning the 2016 Ryder Cup
Prayers answered and congrats gentlemen.
When in Rome, do as the Romans do, when in Georgia, eat fried chicken.
“We have seven restaurants here and the cuisine is second to none, but if I had to choose one thing then I would have to say the Thursday buffet in the Men’s Locker Room with fried chicken, macaroni and cheese and the best banana pudding you’ll ever have is hard to beat,” Brannen Veal, director of golf told us.
The Men’s Locker Room at Sea Island gets regular chatter as being the best locker room in golf and is regarded as the “ultimate man cave.” There are pool tables, big comfortable leather chairs, fine cigars and premium aged Scotch; the perfect setting for post round fibs.
A Scottish bagpiper closes the resort every night as sunset, be on the veranda for cocktails — that comes highly recommended by Veal.
“I’ve hosted friends here and it’s a lot of fun. We typically stay at the Lodge and all my friends really enjoy the special dinner in the Locker Room. We’ll also be sure to have dinner at Colt & Alison, it’s incredible steak house and the Oak Room is an amazing place. And I also always recommend that people visit our Golf Performance Center, it’s the best in the country,” Veal added.
The RSM Golf Classic is held annually at Sea Island Golf Club and is hosted by “Uncle Davis” [Love III], more than $2 million was raised for local charities in 2015 alone. The RSM Golf Classic is the seventh stop on the PGA Tour, last year Kevin Kisner shot 65, 67, 64 and 64 to win by six shots. Many remember 2012, when Tommy “Two Gloves” Gainey shot a final round 60 to beat Jim Furyk by one shot to secure his first and only win on Tour. Setup for the 2016 edition of the RSM Golf Classic began last month, the tournament kicks off in 32 days.
Veal has a word of advice for those considering a career in golf, “Hospitality happens naturally here. I don’t candy coat the industry for applicants – you have to have a servant heart, if you don’t then this business is not for you.”
- The golf course? 54 holes of golf and it’s a PGA Tour stop
- Facilities? More than 10 PGA Tour players call Sea Island home
- Dining options? Seven restaurants that range from fine dining to casual
- Accommodations? The Lodge, The Cloister and Cottages… all 5-star
- Don’t like golf? Beach, fish, kayak, shopping, horseback riding, tennis, spa and more
- Accessibility? 70 miles north of Jacksonville, 80 miles south of Savannah and 300 miles southeast of Atlanta
- Nightlife? Ask the concierge (they know everything)
There are a handful of resorts in America that will be around forever and deserve a visit, this is one.