As one of the World’s best golfing destinations; Ireland has well over 400 golf courses and it’s not surprising that Ireland is one of the top legendary best golfing destinations in the world!
When asked “Where should I play golf in Ireland”? I start by breaking down customer to look at where to play golf in Ireland in seven segments.
- The West and North West regions (Donegal, Galway, Mayo and Sligo). This region offers golfers pure links and traditional rugged Irish Golf. Great golf courses and plenty of golf links courses to choose from. But beware of the smaller roads and driving on the other side of the street!
- The South West. I choose to merge Co. Clare, Co. Limerick and Co. Kerry as a major region for the “legendary golf links of Ireland”. This region is as close to golfing heaven as you can experience and the best Irish golf has to offer anyone in the world. The majority of well-known golf courses are located along the coastline from Lahinch Golf Club to Waterville Golf Links and onto Kenmare. I shall not leave out the championship parkland courses inland such as Adare Golf Resort and Dromoland Castle.
- The South of Ireland; is Cork. Cork is known as the rebel county and probably the finest county in all of Ireland. Cork offers mostly magnificent parkland golf with many new and spectacular courses to play. Old Head Golf Links certainly takes centre stage as Ireland’s most scenic golf course (if not the world); however I suggest that you should look at playing golf at Cork Golf Club, Fota Island Golf Resort, Castlemartyr inland links golf course, Lee Valley County Club and the list goes on!
- The Sunny South East region (Carlow, Kilkenny, Tipperary, Waterford, Wexford, Wicklow). The golf courses located in this region are mainly park and heath land with the exception of the links courses such as Arklow Golf Club, The European Club and Rosslare Golf Club. However with so many golf courses to play, there is great value to be enjoyed and there are a number of very interesting Irish Heritage sites you could visit too. I like the idea of planning a golf and heritage sightseeing trip to the Sunny South East.
- The Midlands region (Cavan, Kildare, Laois, Monaghan, Offaly, Roscommon, Tipperary) offers a great selection of parkland settings – courses are typically undulating parkland courses with lakeside locations. May I suggest a Golf & waterways vacation in the Midlands or along the river Shannon?
- Dublin and the North East region (Dublin, Kildare, Louth, Meath). My three of best golf courses are Portmarnock Golf Club, County Louth Golf Club and Druids Glen Golf Club. May I suggest to you to consider a nice ring of courses to play. 1. Seapoint Golf Club 2. Laytown & Bettystown Golf Club and 3. County Louth Golf Club. Take a long weekend to play the ring of courses in County Louth.
- The Northern Region (Covers the Northern Ireland). It’s almost impossible to top playing golf at Royal County Down, Royal Portrush, The Strand Course at Portstewart, then add in Royal Belfast and my favourite Ardglass Golf Club. I think you need to come to Ireland to play golf and see what happens.
But please ask yourself the question, what type of golf traveller are you? Do you like to play 36 holes a day and fall into bed after golf? Do you like to travel to play golf and enjoy the historical parts of the county you are visiting? Are you a golf and fishing person? Or would you prefer to play only the great Irish links golf courses and enjoy great Irish food? Whatever type of Irish golf experience you may have already enjoyed, there are always good friendships waiting for you in Ireland.
If you would like a legendary golf experience in Ireland and you would like to enjoy one of the World best golfing destinations. Do not hesitate to contact John Dooley or Mark Murphy at Concierge Golf. We are top Irish golf travel experts and we can put a legendary golf vacation together for you.
Contact us now today and let us plot your way around the greatest golf links courses in Ireland.
Tel: +353 21 240 9110 or email [email protected]
Golf travel experts